Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Praying for Teenagers

A while ago, I read an article from youth specialties on 10 thing to pray for dealing with today's teenagers. Over the past few years, I have either interned, or now have a full time job working with teens. I get to see on a daily basis what it is they are struggling with, but more so how I can help them. Call me crazy, but I believe with all my heart that this generation of students, from middle school to college, will have an amazing impact on our world and will pursue God with a greater zeal and passion than the generations before them. I feel like in order for them to do that, they have to be surrounded by people who believe in them, who invest in them, but most of all, who pray for them. Being intentional with students, will allow them to be intentional with themselves, God and others. Here are some things that the article from YS touched on: 1. Purpose: God has a plan for every single student. I want nothing more than to pray this over students asking God to always remind them of their whole purpose in life. I want nothing more than to have students who live a life full of passion and have a purpose for living. "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future" -Jeremiah 29:11 2. Friendships: My boss Todd, always says, "You are who you hang out with". I heard that a lot growing up but didnt really see it until I started working with students. I pray that students, including my sisters, will surround themselves with people who develop them and not destroy them. I pray that God will give students wisdom to discern friendships and I also pray that God will use students to build up and encourage one another like never before. "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing" -1 Thess. 5:11 3. Character: Today's teens have temptation thrown at them from every angle. I pray that this generation of student may experience an ongoing transformation by having their minds renewed and that they will be an example to the world. "Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity" -1 Tim. 4:12 4.Purity: I pray that God would give our students more of a hunger for righteousness than sexual appetite and they would see through the enemies lies. I pray for strength for every single teen I come in contact with. "Then you will know the truth and the truth shall set you free" - John 8:32 5. Passion: May God give this generation of teenagers an anointing of the power of the Holy Spirit to be the greatest witnesses for Christ. May they love, serve and live a life full of passion. 6. Spiritual Growth: I pray that God will touch the hearts of this generation and allow them to know he is there and doing a work on their lives. Not only do I pray for God to be known is students lives, but for the leaders as well. If we do not have a heart to serve this generation, students lives will not be changed from the inside out. We must be willing to learn, be taught so we can help these students. 7. Hope: May God help today;s teen take every thought captive for Christ. I pray he would also fill this generation with the hope of the resurrection of Jesus Christ and protect their mind and heart from hopelessness. May God also help them to cling to Christ during discouragment and soak up his strength when offering this same hope to others. As I leave OKC and head to FL, I pray that I will pray for my students every single day to allow them to know God loves them, and that he has such a great plan for their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment